Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lollapalooza - Hits & Misses


This year's Lollapalooza lineup was announced and in my opinion it's very good. I realize that some of the big name acts may be older than you would expect (Depeche Mode, Beastie Boys, Jane's Addiction), but I think other acts appeal to a younger demographic as well (The Killers, Kings Of Leon). I know you can't please everyone and if there is a glaring mistake, it is the lack of Hip-Hop artists this year, but I can count at least 25 bands I want to see this year. Here are the bands not to be missed (excluding headliners).

1. Bon Iver - I had his album "For Emma, Forever Ago" as my best album of 2008, absolutely beautiful. A simple acoustic folk, with lyrics of a broken relationship and a winter of solitude. To show it wasn't a fluke, he released the "Blood Bank EP" which is embarrassingly good.
2. Band Of Horses - I totally missed them when they released their first album "Everything All The Time", but the follow-up "Cease To Begin" was played as much as any other album last summer. Sounding eerily similar to My Morning Jacket, you can expect southern rock and textured jams, minus the funk.
3. The Knux - The New Orleans Hip-Hop duo actually got me excited to hear beats and rhymes again. Mixing guitars, keyboards and a live band element, they managed to take the best of Outkast, The Roots and A Tribe Called Quest. If that doesn't sound good, please stop reading this and never speak to me again.
Honorable Mentions: MSTRKRFT, Ra Ra Riot, Silversun Pickups, Vampire Weekend, The Decemberists

Now of course everyone can't play, some may have had scheduling conflicts or simply got overlooked, but these artists should have been asked.

1. Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band - No Conor Oberst band has ever played Lolla which is somewhat strange. Bright Eyes played Bonnaroo in '06, The Mystic Valley Band played ACL last year and pulled into Coachella last week. Add to that, that they are releasing a new album "Outer South" next month, for the love of god, why aren't they playing?!?
2. Birdy Nam Nam - This one might just be something overlooked, or not yet on the radar, but "Manual For Successful Rioting" is a killer album. Four French Djs who have won numerous competitions, including the DMC Technics Championship would absolutely blow up Perry's tent! I have yet to see any US dates, but a man can hope, right?
3. Sebastien Grainger - The other half of the now defunct, but still awesome Death From Above 1979, Grainger put out his first solo album and still can make great music. My guess is that with MSTRKRFT on the bill already (he is not speaking with former band mate, Jesse F. Keeler), Perry just had to choose. I refuse to quote Rodney King...

All in all, it's still a great lineup. By no means am I upset with all the great acts put together this year. Tickets are currently $190 for a 3-day pass, see ya there.

1 comment:

  1. i'm not fond of the lolla dance tent/s. they are small crowded and the sound often is overpowered by the main stage acts. mstrkrft is great but look for an after party instead of attending the lolla portion.

    ReplyDelete