Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

This Post is Brought to you by the Letter A

As you may or may not have read, this post will be the first of a 26-part project tentively called "the alphabet project". In an effort to reduce my current audio library and to review some of the older material, I have decided to listen to my ipod in alphabetical order. After completing the letter A, I can tell you this is going to be hard work and take a long time...

The Stats:
Artists: 29
Albums: 60
Songs: 644

The first highlight was Angus Young and his terribly underated skills, especially during the opening disc of Ac/Dc's Bonfire box set. Originally recorded for a weekly radio program at Atlantic Records, the group is young and full of fight. This is also the Ac/Dc they intended it to be with original lead singer, Bon Scott. Some guitarists may be better techinically, or have faster fingers, but Angus is king of the dirty riff.

About a year ago, I stumbled on to an acoustic cover of Daft Punk's "Digital Love" by the Danish band, Alphabeat. I can't tell you how often I find one song that I like while bouncing from site to site. The only problem is that they often get lost next to the 25,000 other songs. The original version of Digital Love has always been my favorite track from Discovery, but my major complaint was the sound. Compared to the other songs, it's too low and sort of stays in the background. But this version had feeling, had a pop, had completely turned the song on its' head. They took a love song and gave it a heart.

As I listened to Aretha Franklin the room became a cathedral, the winter air warmed up a bit and I was taken back to the Saturdays of my youth, doing chores and listening to music with my Ma. Every year there is some new girl with a voice, but no one can replace the range and power of Aretha Franklin. I found a very good song while digging through her catalog that has inspired another post, so stay tuned.

As much as I wish I could give every artist I listened to a bit of the spotlight, these artists pushed their way to the front. I'm already knee deep into B, but it's full of bands with large catalogs (The Beatles, Bright Eyes, Black Sabbath) so please be patient. Don't forget to sign up for my twitter account (theearlynerd)for detailed updates and more music news. For now, enjoy and download Alphabeat.

Digital Love (Daft Punk Cover) by theearlynerd

No comments:

Post a Comment