Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Ad Nauseum: Black Friday Edition

This year I braved the weather and crowds on Black Friday. Yes, that horrible day when people turn into animals for a $5 blender or a $200 flat screen. For those of you that say; "you can save so much money", I think my time is worth more than sitting in the freezing cold just to save a few bucks. God bless ya for doing it, but I'll pass. Unless of course there is limited edition vinyl to be purchased and a great opportunity to help local record shops.

This year the fine folks at Record Store Day decided if you were hellbent on spending money, why not spend it on records. Releasing roughly 100 records from a wide array of artists, I have to say it looks like it was a huge success. Two hours after the stores opened, most of the limited editions are sold out and popping up on ebay. Here are a few that forced me out of bed this morning.

1. The Gaslight Anthem - Tumbling Dice 7"
The New Jersey punks really did their best to offer fans and collectors something great. Side A is of course a cover of The Rolling Stones classic "Tumbling Dice" with a new song "She Loves You" on the B side. That alone would motivate some people to get it, but the packaging is very cool. A silk-screened jacket that folds out, completely encasing the record with an included digital copy. Even better is the fact that they are releasing four colors (baby blue, white, black & brown) with matching jacket. You want the white album, buy the white jacket. I chose baby blue and couldn't be happier. Making sure fans get a hold of this seems to be the #1 priority as this release is not limited and will continue based on demand. You could easily get all four, for about $24 and skip them vultures on ebay. Well done guys... Normally I'd give you a download, but I'm going to force you to buy this one.
Tumbling Dice by theearlynerd

2. Jimi Hendrix - Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
I'm a sucker for colored vinyl, I'll admit it. Throw it on a 10" and I will most likely buy it. So Jimi's limited holiday release on green vinyl was a must have. As Jimi prepared for a holiday set at the Fillmore East in NYC, he recorded this medley of "Little Drummer Boy/Silent Night/Auld Lang Syne" with his trio the Band of Gypsys. On this release you get an edited version and extended version along with "Three Little Bears". "Three Little Bears" was originally cut during the Electric Ladyland sessions, but didn't make the album. This year it finds it's way back to America for the first time in over 20 years.

3.U2 - Wide Awake in Europe
Apparently U2 is still a pretty big fucking deal. This 3 track live ep is already on ebay for $80 and sold out in minutes everywhere I went this morning. In fact, my normal spot didn't even get a single copy shipped to them. Limited to 5000 copies and only available in the US, if you have one of these consider yourself lucky. The lead track "Mercy" is unreleased and has only been played during the recent European leg of the 360 tour. "Moment of Surrender " & "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" are the two other live tracks making this a must have for U2's obsessive and loyal fans.

I hope you guys had a great thanksgiving and happy holidays. I'm about to kill some leftovers...

No comments:

Post a Comment