Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Alphabet Project: D

I bet you thought this was over. That somehow I had been humbled by my music library (27,00 songs and growing), and given up on such a daunting task. Hell no. If you have been reading this for a while, you'll notice a few upgrades, a few tweaks here and there. Well those things take time and now that I can honestly say I am proud of what I'm doing here, we shall continue. Also, I already finished E and am just about to close up F, so these should start rolling in...

Artists: 54
Albums: 215
Songs: 2688

My first artist could actually show up in 4 different letters. How cool is that? Most people know about him, but do you know the real Dave Grohl? Yes, he was the drummer in Nirvana. Yes, he is the lead singer of the Foo Fighters. But this guy is a lot more than that. We won't even mention his contribution to Queens of The Stone Age's Songs For The Deaf, or how he got John Paul Jones to start rocking again with Them Crooked Vultures. But I have to ask; have you ever heard of Late!? Late! is Dave's alter ego. Pocketwatch was recorded during downtime in Virginia in '91 and released on cassette for indie label Simple Machines, these songs may have given him the courage to become the superstar he is today. In fact, one of those songs "Marigold" even made it's way on to a Nirvana import single. I listen to every now and then and laugh at how simple it all seemed to be. I don't blame you for not knowing the sheer enjoyment of "Just Another Story About Skeeter Thompson". Now, if you have actually heard the score to Touch, I'll be impressed. The movie was released in '97, and I have no idea what it's about. What I do know is that Dave Grohl composed the score and it is the only piece of material that bears his actual name.
   Just Another Story About Skeeter Thompson by theearlynerd     Touch (ft. Louise Post) by theearlynerd

There are days when I wish the world was ready for Death From Above 1979, but you already missed them. The Toronto punk duo released their only album You're a Woman, I'm a Machine in 2004 and broke up 2 years later. Thankfully both members have continued to release music. Jesse F. Keeler a.k.a. JFK is half of MSTRKRFT and Sebastien Grainger has released 2 albums on Saddle Creek Records, and most recently a killer remix of Broken Social Scene's "All to All". If you like the live version on "Romantic Rights" below, you should also check out their Remix/B-Sides album, Romance, Bloody Romance.


Depeche Mode may be the starting point of alternative music for me. I was in 4th grade when Violator came out, and I've been listening ever since. One of the reasons I have complied so much music over the years is because I am loyal. Sometimes, to a fault. I'll admit that the recent stuff (Exciter,Playing the Angel & Sounds of the Universe) isn't as good as the early albums. But, one of the best shows I've ever seen was during the Singles Tour, beginning to end they played every song I grew up with. I hope you have a band that you grow old with, I have a few. They just released a DVD/CD combo which documents a 2-night stand in Barcelona. Like a fool, I'm sure I'll get the blu-ray. Check out the trailer below.

No comments:

Post a Comment