Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Top 10 Songs of the Year

As a Christmas gift to you, I present my top 10 songs of the year. Most of them should have caught your ear, but that doesn't mean you necessarily bought them. Have no fear, all 10 are available for download right here. This year was a big step up for the blog and I couldn't have done it without the support and encouragement of a lot of people. Here's to an even better 2011.

#10. Beach House - Zebra
A funny thing happened this year, I actually met a band. Over the years I've been fortunate to meet a few people after a show, waiting with random fans at a side door or bus. But, never was I invited back stage or allowed to have a drink with them, until Beach House. The Baltimore duo put out a fantastic album this year and Zebra was the highlight. Thank you, thank you, thank you to Alex and Victoria.
[Update: Track removed at label's request.]

#9. Vampire Weekend - Giving Up The Gun
I have to wonder; would this song be as great without the video? Probably. Contra in every aspect was a step forward for them. I can't wait to hear what's next.
[Update: Track removed at label's request.]

#8. Broken Social Scene - All to All (DJ Mom Jeans Remix)
I feel it is not only acceptable to put a remix on this list, but absolutely necessary. It seemed everywhere you looked, a new band was dishing out remixes. I'll be honest, I've listened to this song so much, I don't even remember what the original sounds like. I don't think that was the point.


#7. The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio
If there was an award for best drums in a song, this would win. I love the beat, it's almost begging the rest of the band to run. They don't, and I doubt they ever will.
[Update: Track removed at label's request.]

#6. Shout Out Louds - 1999
Give it up for Sweden! You'll find fellow Swedes Junip, in my top 5 albums of the year and now this perfect gem that easily got lost in the shuffle this year. Check out the full album Work.


#5. LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean
Word of advice, it's supposed to start off very low. I don't know how many times I play this for someone and they say "I can't hear it. Turn it up". James Murphy and Co. know what they are doing. Everyone makes a 9 minute track that doesn't start to break until the 3 minute mark. Duh.


#4 Gayngs - By Your Side (Sade Cover)
Speechless, seriously.


#3. Kele - Everything You Wanted (RAC Remix)
I feel like this should be a shared spot. Yes, Kele left Bloc Party and released his solo album, The Boxer. But RAC (Remix Artist Collective) did what they always do, created an awesome remix. Head to their page for remixes for Tokyo Police Club, Ra Ra Riot, U2 and Radiohead to name a few.


#2. Cee-Lo - Fuck You
If there is anyone in the world that can make anger and pain sound like a toe tapping Motown classic, it's Cee Lo. Hands down the best pop song of the year.
[Update: Track removed at label's request.]

#1. Kanye West - Runaway (ft Pusha T)
Number one album, number one song. As he handed away half of his record for free, the early version of Runaway was already a standout track. The final version, a full 9 minutes in length gives you all the emotion you can handle. The distorted last 3 minutes still kill me.
[Update: Track removed at label's request.]

No comments:

Post a Comment