Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Weezer - January 8th, 2011, Aragon Ballroom

Weezer came to town last week as part of their Memories Tour, playing the Blue Album on Friday and the incredible Pinkerton on Saturday. As much as I would have loved to make it to both shows, I had to make a choice. I have regrets, we all do. But, I'll never regret missing the first night for what was an amazing second night.

So many people have called Pinkerton the blueprint for Emo. I don't care about its merits to the younger generation, I had this fucker on cassette. Hearing the complete album would have been enough for me, but they really showcased the entire catalog and broke out some serious treats. For some reason I was under the impression that they would open with the full album and then play a mix of their songs to end the night. Instead Rivers and crew jumped in their "time machine" and treated fans to hits off every album starting with Hurley. You literally felt like you were looking through a year book, or walking through your old gym.

As I watched them on stage, I couldn't help but notice the confidence the band had. For all the anxiety and nervous tension we've heard about throughout the years, they looked stronger than ever. Brian Bell never left his spot on the left side of the stage, instead bouncing with the swagger of a millionaire. If Pinkerton was their puberty, these guys decided to kick in the doors of their class reunion. "Dope Nose" was a highlight of the first set, along with the rarity "You Gave Your Love To Me Softly".

If I told you that every song in the second set was great, would you believe me? In high school, I loved "Across The Sea", but to hear it live was something I'll never forget. "El Scorcho" got the biggest cheer, a sing-along that even impressed the band. When the closing song "Butterfly" finished it was definitely too soon. The night seemed to fly by like most great nights do. Thanks Weezer for giving me and a sold out crowd what they wanted, a chance to catch up with old friends.


Setlist:
1. Memories
2. Porks & Beans
3. The Greatest Man That Ever Lived
4. Perfect Situation
5. Dope Nose
6. Hash Pipe
7. You Gave Your Love To Me Softly
8. Susanne
9. Jaime
10. Only In Dreams
Intermission
11. Tired Of Sex
12. Getchoo
13. No Other One
14. Why Bother
15. Across The Sea
16. The Good Life
17. El Scorcho
18. Pink Triangle
19. Falling For You
20. Butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment