Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Discovery Makes It A Little Better...


So for the last 2 weeks, I've been slightly unmotivated to write about music. Say what you like about Michael Jackson, but him and the Jackson 5 were a great amount of joy for me. Growing up in my house you could hear anything from Motown to Metal, and I can still think back to my mom cleaning while "I Want You Back" rang through the house. His death has seemed to polarize people like I've rarely ever seen, but I hope regardless of what side you're on, you appreciate the music...

In one of those, "As someone dies, someone is born" kind of ways, I recently got a copy of Discovery's debut album, LP. The partnership of Rostam Batmanglij & Wes Miles sounded like a very promising idea from the beginning. Rostam is a member of Vampire Weekend, one of my favorites and Wes is in the very underrated Ra Ra Riot. Given their bands and the type of music they already make, I was expecting a lush, acoustic based album that would rock you to sleep on a beach at sunset. I was wrong.

Discovery is a electronic band, based on 808 beats, auto-tune vocals and 80's R&B. Coming from 2 guys in indie rock bands, it's a bit of a stretch, but they pull it off by not acting like they belong, instead just love that type of music. Their fans, who have made a very good album that can play at the club and a bbq with little difference. Highlights include "Orange Shirt", "Can You Discover?" a remake of Ra Ra Riot's "Can You Tell" and a cover of the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back". Not the best cover I've ever heard, but right now it was a reminder of how far Michael Jackson's influence spread.

I Want You Back - Discovery

No comments:

Post a Comment